Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book 34 : Three Classic Greek Plays - Aristophanes & Sophocles

This book contained three plays, Lysistrata by Aristophanes and Electra and Oedipus the Kingby Sophocles.

While I loved Lysistrata, I was not a huge fan of either of Sophocles' plays.

Lysistrata was straight up funny, which I was not expecting. You don't think of plays from 400 B.C. as being particularly scandalous, funny or interesting but it was. The basic premise is that in order to end a war that's been going on forever, the women decide to withhold sex from their husbands when they return for a break. Hilarity ensues and I loved it.

There was also an interesting anti-war message, in particular a speech given by Lysistrata, the orchestrator of the sex with holding scheme, who goes on about how all wars are civil, as we are all brothers. It's interesting and sad that nations are still fighting over the same thing they were thousands of years ago.

As far as Sophocles goes, I'd already read Oedipus, though it was years ago. I don't have the patience to enjoy being beaten over the head with the Chorus' constant reiteration of what I already understand. I can see why these plays are taught in school, as they do paint an interesting picture of times long gone, but they didn't do a wonderful job of gaining my interest.

Aristophanes - 8/10
Sophocles - 4/10
YTD:
Books read : 34
Pages read : 9,796
Currently reading : Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden & Martin Dressler : The Tale of an American Dreamer - Steven Millhauser

No comments: